Sunday, September 12, 2010

Douglas Crockford's JavaScript: The Good Parts

After hearing more recommendations than I could ignore, I have just finished reading Douglas Crockford's JavaScript: The Good Parts. Thanks to Jerry Cheung over at whatcodecraves.com for pushing me over the edge. Read it if you haven't already. It is full of ridiculously useful details about the ins and outs of a language that few of us can avoid, but it is also full of something I was not expecting: opinions. Crockford doesn't present a single concept without passing judgment on it. This is good. This is bad. This is awful. They got this right. They got this wrong.

I love this approach. The magic of it is that he not only passes judgment on each aspect of the language, but he ultimately tells us how to use the good parts and avoid the bad parts. This effectively makes the language better. It's not about bashing someone else's work; it's about helping us to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment